Monday, January 02, 2012

Resolutions for 2012

It’s the beginning of the year. I know, I should have posted this yesterday, on the actual first of the year, but I prefer to spend January 1 doing as little as possible. What do you like to do?

Anyway, here are my writer’s resolutions for the coming year.
  • finish those two novels that have been sitting in the drawer for years: The Last Tiger and Maurice: Walking out of the USSR
  • stop using “then” as a conjunction so often. I can get away with it once in a while, but not on every page.
  • Stop using “then” so much everywhere else. “First he did this, then he did that.” Yeesh!
  • resist the temptation to describe every little motion my characters make—for example, “she hesitated and glanced down, touched her face and shuddered just a little as her face reddened.” I think my readers will get it if I just writer “she hesitated as her cheeks became red.”
  • write more book reviews on Amazon, Goodreads and Smashwords
  • finish the process to list my books directly on Apple’s iBookstore.
I think that’s enough for one year.

What are your writer’s resolutions?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:36 PM

    Those are great! I think using 'then' is a weakness of mine too. I use it alot.

    Good luck with your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Scott.
    My writing goals for 2012:
    1. 5000 words a week
    2. 1 submission a month
    3. Root out as many of the evil "but's" as possible.
    Peace,
    Liv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with all your resolutions! Mine are to promote Script Frenzy in my hometown, get into the Novel workshop with the Center for the Study of Science Fiction in Kansas, and finish the 'How to Revise your Novel' course with Holly Lisle.

    My OLL interview is finally up - go check it out!

    ReplyDelete